There’s no better feeling than going about our day knowing exactly what we’re having for dinner. It engenders a kind of confidence that only someone who knows they will be well fed can exude. Some days, it’s difficult to get inspired, but having this Trader Joe’s product in the freezer means we can create an exciting meal that comes together quickly—it lays the foundation for many delicious dinners: Trader Joe’s Stir Fried Garlicky Cabbage.
We’ve never tasted anything quite like this! Trader Joe’s website says the product is inspired by a Thai dish of stir fried cabbage, garlic, and fish sauce called Galam Plee Pad Nam Pla. In this version, kombu (kelp seaweed) replaces the fish sauce, which as vegans, we appreciate.
We find the whole thing to be delicious. The roasted garlic is sweet and pleasant—it’s balanced by the bitter green cabbage and umami from the kombu. Thicker crunchy cabbage pieces mixed with more tender leaves make each bite interesting. From the big flavor, the easy prep, and the versatility of this stir fried cabbage, it’s a no-brainer for weeknight dinners. You can find it in the frozen section for $3.50, and each package serves two.
One Trick To Reheat TJ’s Stir Fried Garlicky Cabbage
We like to prepare this stir fried cabbage by following the stovetop instructions on the box. Heat it in a pan over medium-high heat for seven to eight minutes. Here’s a trick to help it cook more evenly: for the first minute, cover the pan with a lid to capture steam and defrost the cabbage. That’s it!
A Bajillion Ways To Turn TJ’s Stir Fried Garlicky Cabbage Into Dinner
There are so many ways to enjoy Trader Joe’s Stir Fried Garlicky Cabbage and build simple dinners around it. Yes, frozen cabbage is inspirational! We’ll prove it to you.
- The balance of sweet, pungent, and umami lends itself well to many variations of fried rice: pork, vegetable, shrimp, and kimchi! Sprinkle the cooked cabbage with a little sesame oil before stirring it into the cooked fried rice.
- Let the cabbage shine and serve it with a simple baked tofu and white rice. Top it with tamari or soy sauce and a drizzle of Sriracha.
- It’s easy to transform the cabbage into a ginger and vegetable stir fry. Cook chopped broccoli or cauliflower with the cabbage—they will absorb all the flavors of sauce as they cook together. Add fresh minced or powdered ginger and any other vegetables or protein you want. Serve it over rice.
- For the easiest meal of all time, we recommend combining multiple Trader Joe products! Serve the cabbage with TJ’s Chicken-less Mandarin Morsels (or Mandarin Chicken) or Thai Vegetable Gyoza for a quick and tasty dinner.
- If you’re in the mood for noodles, add the cabbage to this vegetarian pad Thai or these sesame peanut noodles.
- Add flavor and crunch to a curry. We make an easy weeknight version by heating up store-bought red curry paste with coconut milk, then adding vegetables, seared tofu, and the cabbage.
- Toss it into soups and stews for texture and a boost of flavor.
Are you on your way to Trader Joe’s yet? We need to stock up on more TJ’s Garlicky Stir Fried Cabbage, so see ya there!